07/03/2012

Troubleshooting Sharepoint 2010 User Profile Synchronization Error


When implementing my Sharepoint 2010 testlab I configured user profile synchronization. After a while I noticed that Sharepoint failed to import new user accounts from my Active Directory.
I checked the configuration in Sharepoint, which seemed allright. But when I checked the eventviewer I noticed some problems:

Log Name:          Application
Source:            FIMSynchronizationService
Date:              3/7/2012 9:38:10 AM
Event ID:          6801
Task Category:     (3)
Level:             Error
Keywords:          Classic
User:              N/A
Computer:          SRV1.contoso.com
 


Description:
The extensible extension returned an unsupported error.The stack trace is:"System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileApplicationNotAvailableException: No User Profile Application available to service the request. Contact your farm administrator. at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ProfileManagerInstance.GetApplicationProxy() 

Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ProfileImportExportService.InitializeProfileImportExportProcess()
 

Now we know what the problem is.
There seems to be a problem with the Exensible Connectivity Agent.


  • Open miisclient
    (%programfiles%\Microsoft Office Server\14.0\Synchronization Service\UIShel\miisclient.exe)
     
  • Check the Operations tab. In my case the following error was reported: stopped-extension-dll


 
Now it seems that a bad URI has been configured in FIM which we need to correct.
  • Launch miisclient.exe 
  • Select the Management Agents tab 
  • Select the Extensible Connectivity agent and select properties

  •  Click on the "Configure Connectivity Information" option
  • Now let's focus on the "Connect To" option
  • Correct the URI in the textbox
    syntax:    direct://{HOST}:{PORT}/..
  • Close FIM, restart your synchronisation and everything should be running again.
In my case it was pretty easy, since I changed the port number of Central Administration after I configured user profile synchronization. I didn't realise that the port number wouldn't be changed in FIM.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

saved my life, thanks :-)

Shahram said...

I had quite hard time on this problem too until I found your blog.
Thanks heaps.